Additional Materials, Programs, and Organizations
There are many resources helping to advance understanding of health disparities and improve the health of underserved communities in Los Angeles County.
Our goal is to connect more organizations to facilitate community and academic partnerships in research and to train new investigators in health disparities research and assist community partners to implement effective programs to reduce disparities.
Instant Recess® is an evidence-based model designed to improve health & productivity by incorporating 10-minute physical activity breaks into the routine daily "conduct of business"–fighting the inactivity epidemic 10 minutes at a time.
Searchable database of projects, programs and initiatives throughout the US promoting health changes through changes in the built environment.
Recently validated tool for health research on racism. Tool and Instructions for its use can be accessed for free after registering.
Health Data Tools and Statistics Sectio.n
Methods for Measuring Cancer Disparities: Using Data Relevant to Healthy People 2010 Cancer-Related Objectives objectives.
A free interactive CD-ROM offered by The University of Michigan as a practical guide to applying concepts and methods in measuring and addressing health disparities.
Available in Korean, Vietnamese and English.
A Facilitator's Guide.
From the Prevention Institute.
An Action Kit, produced by Families USA for Community Leaders, emphasizing the importance of public programs in reducing racial and ethnic health disparities. Provides information, tools, and resources for engaging in health advocacy and improving communities' health and well-being.
Obesity prevention resources:
- Infographic on how different community stakeholders can contribute to childhood obesity prevention - U.S. Chamber Foundation
- Ethnic and general market audience research for the VERB physical activity campaign
Tobacco prevention resources:
- CDC MMWR Report: "Combustible and Smokeless Tobacco use Among High School Athletes - United States, 2001-2013"
- Social Media Content and Images for Tobacco Prevention Control: CDC Tobacco Free Facebook Page, Media Campaign Resource Center, FDA Exchange Lab
Heart disease and stroke resources:
Digital and Social Media Resources
- Trends on Tuesday: Mobile Messaging and Social App Research Released
- Mobile Content: Less is More
- News Report on Mobile Phone App Use
- Teens Google Away for Health Information
- How Millennials Use Technology to Get News
Other downloadable resources:
- Active Living Research, RWJF
- Partners in Information Access for the Public Health Workforce
- Eat Better Move More
- PolicyLink Center for Health Equity and Place
- Measuring Health Disparities
- Center for Weight and Health, UC Berkeley
- HealthData + Obesity: Creating Healthier Communities (Visuals and text to help communicate the social and environmental factors that drive obesity)
- Institue of Medicine - Health Literacy: Past, Present, and Future: Workshop Summary
- Find Your Park
- Mapping Radio's Reach with Black and Hispanic Consumers
Health Disparities Links
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- American Cancer Society (ACS)
- NCI Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities (CRCHD)
- NIH National Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities
- National Partnership for Action to End Health Disparities
Government and Policy Issues
- Bureau of Primary Health Care Programs
- Bureau of Primary Health Care – Databases
- California Department of Public Health
- CA Food Policy Advocates
- California Pan Ethnic Health Network
- California State Assembly
- California State Rural Health Association
- California State Senate
- Center for Health Professionals, UCSF
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Children's Health Access and Medical Program Online
- Community Clinic Week
- Department of Health and Human Services
- Government Printing Office
- Governor's Home Page
- Health Care Financing Administration
- Health Resources and Services Administration
- National Health Service Corps
- Healthy Families
- HIPAA Summit
- Immigration and Naturalization Services
- Legislative Council Agency Reports
- LA County - Department of Health Services
- LA County - Department of Public Health
- Managed Risk Medical Insurance Board
- National Governors Association
- Official California Legislative Information (Bill Info)
- Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD)
- Office of Minority Health
- Prevention Institute
- Health Disparities Page
- Strategic Alliance for Healthy Active Environments
UCLA Ethnic Studies Centers
- Institute of American Cultures (umbrella organization)
- Asian American Studies Center
- Chicano Studies Research Center
- Ralph J. Bunche Center for Afican American Studies
- American Indian Studies Center
Other UCLA Centers and Initiatives Working to Eliminate Health Disparities
- Center for Adolescent Health Promotion
- Center for the Study of Women
- Center for Health Policy Research
- Center for American Indian/Indigenous Research and Education
- American Indian and Alaska Native Research Program
- Institute for Social Science Research
- California Center for Population Research
- Center for the Study of Latino Health and Culture
- UCLA Center for Research, Education, Training, and Strategic Communication on Minority Health Disparties (EXPORT Center)
- Center for Vulnerable Populations Research
- Center for Culture and Health
- Division of Cancer Prevention and Control Research
- Social Sciences Institute
- The Center for Culture, Trauma and Mental Health Disparities