Roshan Bastani, Ph.D.
Roshan Bastani is Professor of Health Services and Associate Dean for Research in the School of Public Health, and is Co-Director of its Center to Eliminate Health Disparities. She is also Associate Director of the Division of Cancer Prevention and Control Research which is jointly housed in the School of Public Health and the Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center. She teaches courses in Cancer Prevention and Control and Program Evaluation.
Dr. Bastani is a Social/Health Psychologist whose main research interest is the study of access to health care among low-income, ethnic minority and other underserved groups, with focus testing the efficacy of patient and health care system directed interventions to improve access. Examples of her federally funded (NIH) research include a randomized experiment, targeting indigent minority women from two public hospitals, to enhance utilization of appropriate follow-up diagnostic and treatment services for serious breast abnormalities; a study to understand health system and patient factors related to hepatitis B screening; an experiment to assess the effects of an intervention to promote informed decision making regarding prostate cancer screening, among Latinos; and CDC funded prevention program to promote community-based collaborative intervention research projects to reduce ethnic disparities related to tobacco use, obesity, and cancer screening. She is also the director of an NCI funded training grant, which prepares post doctoral fellows (PhD and MD) to conduct interdisciplinary cancer prevention and control research.
1. Bastani, R., Maxwell, A.E., Bradford, C., Prabhu Das, I., Yan, K. (1999). Tailored risk notification for women with a family history of breast cancer. Preventive Medicine, 29(5): 355-364.
2. Bastani, R., Gallardo, N., Maxwell, A.E.(2001). Barriers to colorectal cancer screening among ethnically diverse high- and average risk individuals. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, 19 (3/4): 65-84
3. Bastani, R., Berman, B., Belin, T., Crane, L., Marcus, A., Nasseri, K., Herman-Shipley, N. (2002). Increasing cervical cancer screening among underserved women in a large urban county health system: Can it be done? What does it take? Medical Care. 40(10): 891-907.
4. Reuben, D.B., Bassett, L.W., Hirsch, S.H., Jackson, C.A., Bastani, R. (2002). A randomized clinical trial to assess the benefit of offering on-site mobile mammography, in addition to health education, for older women. American Journal of Roentgenology, 179(6):1509-1514.
5. Bastani, R., Yabroff, K.R., Myers, R.E., Glenn, B. (2004). Interventions to improve follow-up of abnormal findings in cancer Screening. Cancer, 101(S5):1188-1200.
6. Davidson, P.L., Bastani, R, Nakazono, T.T., Carreon, D.C. (2005). Role of community risk factors and resources on breast carcinoma stage at diagnosis. Cancer, 103(5):922-930.
7. Bastani, R. Maxwell, A..E., Glenn, B., Kagawa-Singer, M., Parada, K. (2005). Stimulating cancer research in Asian communities and training the next generation of scientists: the AANCART-LA experience. Cancer, 104(12 Suppl):2926-2930.
8. Tu, S., Taylor, V.M., Yasui, Y., Chun, A., Yip, M.P., Acorda, E.A., Li, L., Bastani, R. (2006). Promoting culturally appropriate colorectal cancer screening through a health educator: a randomized controlled trial. Cancer, 107(5):959-966.
9. Bastani, R., Glenn, B., Maxwell, A.E., Jo, A.M. (2007). Hepatitis B testing for liver cancer control among Korean Americans. Ethnicity & Disease, 17(2):365-373.
10. Berman, B., Streja, L., Bernaards, C.A., Eckhardt, E.A., Kleiger, H.B., Maucere, L., Wong, G., Barkin, S, Bastani, R. (2007). Do Deaf and Hard-Of-Hearing youth need anti-tobacco education? American Annals of the Deaf, 152(3): 344-355.
11. Bastani, R., Glenn, B., Maxwell, A.E., Ganz, P.A., Mojica, C., Chang, C. (2008). Validation of self-reported colorectal cancer screening in a study of ethnically diverse first degree relatives of colorectal cancer patients. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 17(4):791-798.
12. Taylor, V.M., Coronado, G., Acorda, E., Chong, T., Tu, S., Yasui, Y., Bastani, R. (2008). Development of an ESL curriculum to educate Chinese immigrants about hepatitis B. Journal of Community Health, 33(4):217-224.