Topic: Liver Disease
We compare the prevalence of risk factors and receipt of clinical procedures (HBV/HCV, alcohol, obesity, diabetes, elevated liver enzyme tests, etc.) as well as socio-demographic characteristics (age, sex, race/ethnicity) in patients with and without chronic liver disease (NALFD, NASH, cirrhosis, HCC). Additionally, we assess adherence to best practices for management and surveillance among specific high-risk groups and patients with diagnosed liver disease.
Study Population: UCLA Health patients
Funding Source: NIH UL1TR001881; UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, David Geffen School of Medicine, and Clinical Translational Science Center
- Flores YN, Zhang ZF, Bastani R, Leng M, Crespi CM, Ramírez-Palacios P, Stevens H, Salmerón J. Risk factors for liver disease among adults of Mexican descent in the United States and Mexico. World J Gastroenterol. 2018;24:4281-4290. PMCID: PMC6175761.
- Larrieta-Carrasco E, Flores YN, Macías-Kauffer LR, Ramírez-Palacios P, Quiterio M, León-Mimila P, Ramírez-Salazar EG, Rivera-Paredez B, Cabrera-Álvarez G, Canizales-Quinteros S, Zhang ZF, López-Pérez TV, Salmerón J, Velázquez-Cruz R. Genetic variants in COL13A1, ADIPOQ and SAMM50, in addition to the PNPLA3 gene, confer susceptibility to elevated transaminase levels in an admixed Mexican population. Exp Mol Pathol. 2018;104:50-58. PMCID: PMC6027652.
- Benhammou JN, Dong TS, May FP, Kawamoto J, Dixit R, Jackson S, Dixit V, Bhattacharya D, Han SB, Pisegna JR. Race affects SVR12 in a large and ethnically diverse hepatitis C-infected patient population following treatment with direct-acting antivirals: Analysis of a single-center Department of Veterans Affairs cohort. Pharmacol Res Perspect. 2018;6:e00379. PMCID: PMC5821896.
- Dong TS, Aby ES, Benhammou JN, Kawamoto J, Han SH, May FP, Pisegna JR. Metabolic syndrome does not affect sustained virologic response of direct-acting antivirals while hepatitis C clearance improves hemoglobin A1c. World J Hepatol. 2018;10:612-621. PMCID: PMC6177571.
- Bakr O, Gelberg L, Seragaki S, Youn S, Kawamoto J, Hoppe M, Altman L, Kopelson K, May FP, Cowan B, Bhattacharya D. Treating Hepatitis C in Homeless Veterans at the Greater Los Angeles Veterans’ Affairs Medical Center. Hepatology. 2019;70:1071-1073. PMID: 30945758.
- Aby ES, Winters AC, Lin J, Bui A, Kawamoto J, Goetz MB, Bhattacharya D, Pisegna JR, May FP, Patel AA, Benhammou JN. A Telephone and Mail Outreach Program Successfully Increases Uptake of Hepatocellular Carcinoma Surveillance. Hepatol Commun. 2020;4:825-833. PMC7262281.
- Kardashian A, Patel AA, Aby ES, Cusumano VT, Soroudi C, Winters AC, Wu E, Beah P, Delshad S, Kim N, Yang L, May FP. Identifying Quality Gaps in Preventive Care for Outpatients With Cirrhosis Within a Large, Academic Health Care System. Hepatol Commun. 2020;4:1802-1811. PMCID: PMC7706302.
- Flores YN, Datta GD, Yang L, Corona E, Devineni D, Glenn BA, Bastani R, May FP. Disparities in Hepatocellular Carcinoma Incidence, Stage, and Survival: A Large Population-Based Study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2021 Jun;30(6):1193-1199. PMCID: PMC8172467.
- Nguyen MP, Amoon AT, Lee L, Chiang V, Nham K, Sun AQ, Ji M, Sundin P, Bastani R, Flores YN. Health Literacy, Knowledge, and Risk Factors for Fatty Liver Disease among Asian American and Pacific Islanders and Latinos in Los Angeles. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2021 Jun 1;22(6):1737-1744. PMCID: PMC8418836.
- Flores YN, Amoon AT, Su B, Velazquez-Cruz R, Ramírez-Palacios P, Salmerón J, Rivera-Paredez B, Sinsheimer JS, Lusis AJ, Huertas-Vazquez A, Saab S, Glenn BA, May FP, Williams KJ, Bastani R, Bensinger SJ. Serum lipids are associated with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a pilot case-control study in Mexico. Lipids Health Dis. 2021 Oct 10;20(1):136. PMCID: PMC8504048.